Match Preview: Arsenal vs Cardiff
Kick Off 4:00pm
- The Christmas schedule has taken it’s toll on Arsenal’s squad a little with Ozil, Vermaelen and Monreal all missing the game against Newcastle and Kieran Gibbs forced off through injury.
- The left-back is expected to miss out and Ozil seems less likely to feature due to a shoulder problem.
- Arsene Wenger may rotate his squad once again so Arteta should start, while Lukas Podolski will hope to be in the XI for the first time since August.
- Managerless Cardiff threw away a two goal lead against Sunderland and the club will hope to put things right on the field after the Vincent Tan circus off it.
- Andrew Taylor and Craig Bellamy are the only fitness concerns that caretaker David Kerslake has to contend with.
- If the former is unable to recover from a knock picked up against Southampton then youngster Declan John will continue to deputise at left-back.
- Despite dropping points here and there Arsenal have come out of a tough Christmas period and are still top of the league; a position they’ll look to consolidate against a struggling Cardiff side.
- There tend to be fewer goals in the Gunners’ home games (2.4 per game) so Cardiff will look to sit deep and take any chances they may get on the break or from set pieces.
- Arsenal, despite a number of potential absentees, should have enough quality to pick up a comfortable victory against a Cardiff side that have won just 1 of 9 away matches this season.